Fall Break

Hello everyone!

I just got back last night from my fall break trip! I went home to Minnesota, and it was wonderful. This was my first year going home for fall break, and even though it was short, it was very nice.

Wednesday I finished up my last class at 5:30, so I went to hang out by the bus stop until it came around 6:15. Lewis & Clark has a very convenient shuttle service downtown that runs about every hour. The bus, or as students call it, the Pio (short for Pioneer Express) makes stops at Fred Meyer, a grocery store, as well as downtown. It also has flag stops along the way, one of which is right next to my house. A couple of times a week I ride it to and from school, usually when I have too many things than I can carry on my bike. Wednesday was one of those days, since I had all of my drawing supplies.

Anyway, I was waiting for the Pio, and as it turns out, so were about 100 other people. Everyone was really excited and amped up because it was officially fall break, so there were a lot more people heading downtown than there usually are on a Wednesday. When the Pio came, I tried to squeeze my way on, but it was too full. This was a little stressful, since I had to make a plane, but I called my friend who had generously offered to give me a ride, and she agreed to pick me up on campus and run by my house with me so that I could get my bags.

Eventually I made it to the airport, at which point I flew to San Francisco before taking a red eye home. It was a long time to spend in a plane, but getting home was worth it. I spent Thursday just hanging out at home and catching up on sleep. That night all my Minneapolis cousins and aunts/uncles got together for dinner. Friday morning was spent running some errands, and after my sister got out of school we drove up to Duluth. Duluth is a really pretty port city on Lake Superior. My family used to drive up to the North Shore of Lake Superior every fall, so it was fun to do it again.

Saturday we drove further up the North Shore, getting pie, stopping in shops, and hiking around. It was really nice. That evening we drove back down to the cities. Sunday morning I hung out some more at home, and I left in the afternoon.

Gooseberry Falls State Park in Minnesota. The fall colors were very vibrant and nice.

It was a really nice break, and was needed. This week is going to be insanely busy- it's finally Environmental Affairs Symposium week! We are kicking off the event tonight with an "Anthropocene in Movies" event. Tomorrow we have the keynote event downtown, and we have student run sessions throughout Wednesday and Thursday. Then, we have our closing banquet!

On top of that, one of my friends from home is visiting me, and I have a midterm on Thursday.

Even though I'm busy, I always have time to answer questions! Feel free to email me at rekidder@lclark.edu if you have any questions.

-Rebecca