Hey friends!
Hope you call caught my ig/snap takeover! I had a blast taking over the snapchat and instagram. If you caught the takeover you saw me go to my 3 classes and go around campus. I also did a little behind the scenes of the College Outdoors office job and then to Maggie's Coffee Shop - another one of my jobs.
((Check out the LC outdoors flickr! We post all photos of all the trips we send out!))
I want to address some things though...
I also used the ig feature to let people ask questions. I was asked a lot of great questions and I did my best to answer everything as truthful and honest as I could, but also keeping this a professional and overall positive light. My goal was not to slander the college, but to also not necessarily overly sugar coat what life at LC is like. It's college. College is hard, it's stressful, and there are aspects that people don't like. It's a really wonderful time but it's real life - no pun intended - it's not all glitter and fairies.
I also want people to keep in mind, this Real Life blog is meant to be for prospective students to get an an insight into what a day in the life // week in the life of an LC student is like. As part of that I've taken the snapchat over before. Real Life is also specifically run/posted by students.
I often prompt you guys to send me questions here too! I love interacting with you and answering questions.
I was asked some awesome questions like, if all my work was work study - they aren't. I work for the admissions (this blog) and Maggies coffee shop - both not work study. I have also held jobs as a note taker and an English tutor for international students - also not work study. My other jobs are with the grad campus counseling and psychology office (CPSY) and College Outdoors - those are work study. I also used to work for the bookstore before we got bought out last year - but that was also work study.
*(Also work study is awarded off financial aid need essentially; not everyone gets work study, but you can find jobs without it)
I was also asked the "culture shock" I felt coming to LC. My culture shock also came from Portland in general - in the sense that the transition of high school to college is a large adjustment. Portland and LC are majority white; my culture shock was from the change in what I was used to from high school, with a lot of other Asian Americans. Coming to LC was a change because I was treated differently than I had ever before - I'm not saying this was a negative or a positive thing though. The original question was asking if I had advice for an international student and my answer was that I was not international, but I still experienced culture shock, but there are great resources to find connections and make friends; that was the main point.
I was also asked about some other things that I do not have control over and I want you guys to know that. Someone asked if LC had any black students that weren't athletes, someone else had also asked why the admissions office doesn't feature AES students. These are great questions that need to be asked, but I was not the right person to answer them.
My answers were all simply a representation of how I felt, they are by no means the overall perspective of Lewis and Clark College.
I'm happy to answer questions and I think that this experience was a good one, that overall I did enjoy. Please continue to send me questions and feel free to ask me what you want, but they will be personal answers. I'm also happy to address any of the questions or answers that came up during the takeover.
Thanks you guys!
Cheers,
Kate
ksaylor@lclark.edu
((Check out the LC outdoors flickr! We post all photos of all the trips we send out!))
| College Outdoors |
I want to address some things though...
I also used the ig feature to let people ask questions. I was asked a lot of great questions and I did my best to answer everything as truthful and honest as I could, but also keeping this a professional and overall positive light. My goal was not to slander the college, but to also not necessarily overly sugar coat what life at LC is like. It's college. College is hard, it's stressful, and there are aspects that people don't like. It's a really wonderful time but it's real life - no pun intended - it's not all glitter and fairies.
I also want people to keep in mind, this Real Life blog is meant to be for prospective students to get an an insight into what a day in the life // week in the life of an LC student is like. As part of that I've taken the snapchat over before. Real Life is also specifically run/posted by students.
I often prompt you guys to send me questions here too! I love interacting with you and answering questions.
I was asked some awesome questions like, if all my work was work study - they aren't. I work for the admissions (this blog) and Maggies coffee shop - both not work study. I have also held jobs as a note taker and an English tutor for international students - also not work study. My other jobs are with the grad campus counseling and psychology office (CPSY) and College Outdoors - those are work study. I also used to work for the bookstore before we got bought out last year - but that was also work study.
I was also asked the "culture shock" I felt coming to LC. My culture shock also came from Portland in general - in the sense that the transition of high school to college is a large adjustment. Portland and LC are majority white; my culture shock was from the change in what I was used to from high school, with a lot of other Asian Americans. Coming to LC was a change because I was treated differently than I had ever before - I'm not saying this was a negative or a positive thing though. The original question was asking if I had advice for an international student and my answer was that I was not international, but I still experienced culture shock, but there are great resources to find connections and make friends; that was the main point.
I was also asked about some other things that I do not have control over and I want you guys to know that. Someone asked if LC had any black students that weren't athletes, someone else had also asked why the admissions office doesn't feature AES students. These are great questions that need to be asked, but I was not the right person to answer them.
My answers were all simply a representation of how I felt, they are by no means the overall perspective of Lewis and Clark College.
I'm happy to answer questions and I think that this experience was a good one, that overall I did enjoy. Please continue to send me questions and feel free to ask me what you want, but they will be personal answers. I'm also happy to address any of the questions or answers that came up during the takeover.
Thanks you guys!
Cheers,
Kate
ksaylor@lclark.edu