A day in the life of an LC Sophomore

Day in the lifes are super popular on youtube, I know I enjoy watching them, so I thought it would be fun to do a mini day in the life written blog. Every day is, of course, a little different, especially the differences between my Tuesday and Thursday classes, my Monday and Wednesday classes, and then Fridays and the weekend. I have different classes each set of days, so it's nice that my schedule varies nicely throughout the week so I never fall into a boring daily routine. For a peek into my normal week I'll talk about my average Wednesday activities.

Wake up: 8:30 (snooze till 8:50)
I am absolutely not a morning person so I usually stay in bed till the last possible second then rush out of bed in a whirl to get to where I need to be on time. This is about the same most mornings.

Swimming: 9:10 - 10:10
I'm taking swimming as a PE class this semester and I really enjoy swimming as a form of exercise. It's a small class and I get coaching on technique which is really great. Some days it's hard to motivate myself to get up and work out but taking this as a class is a good motivator. After class, I rinse off and change in the locker room and then head off for everything else

Lunch/Tour/Homework: 10:40 - 1:50
This is my most variable time of the day, but typically I'll hang out and do some homework (or procrastinate homework) until I'm hungry for lunch. Then I'll grab something to eat either in the Troom or the Bon and usually listen to a podcast while I eat. Then It's usually more homework or catching up on to do's before class. I also work as a tour guide so a lot of the times I'll have a tour from 11:30-12:30, in which case I just have lunch and do homework around that. And somedays I use this free time to schedule meetings or go to office hours

Spanish Conversational: 1:50 - 2:50
This is a really fun, low-pressure language class where everyone just gets to show up and talk in Spanish around certain themes and learn new vocabulary. I really enjoy it and it's getting me excited to go abroad next year to spain and mexico

ENVS 220: 3:00 - 4:30
This class is also really nice, and I kind of like having my classes back to back. I usually walk over to this classroom and hang out for 10 minutes between classes which is a nice break. Then I have a class and it's a nice mix of lecture and group discussion and small group work. On Wednesday's we prep for lab on Thursdays.

Cabinet Meeting: 4:40 - 5:30
Right after class, I have to get to a cabinet meeting for ASLC (our student body government), because I am the Director of Elections. Here we spend an hour or so giving updates on projects, discussing upcoming events, and planning for our big senate meetings which happen on Thursdays. At the end of this meeting, we usually get sidetracked and hang out for a bit just chatting before I have to run off and grab dinner.

Dinner: 5:30 - 5:50
As you can see, this is a pretty quick dinner, so I just grab something fast from the dining hall, occasionally I finish any bit of homework I have left for my next class. Sometimes I skip diner in the dining hall and make myself something in my dorm if I don't have too much homework.

Constitutional Law: 6:00 - 7:30
This class isn't a super normal timeslot, and it took a bit to get used to an evening class, but I have friends in the class and I like the professor and the content so I've gotten used to it and I mostly like it now. It doesn't interfere with evening events and meetings as much as I thought it would, so that's been great. Even though I really like this class, it does feel nice to be done with classes for the day at the end of it.

SOC Meeting: 7:00-8:45 (Student organizations Committee)
Every other week I have an SOC meeting. It starts while I'm in class so I just show up late. This is another part of our student government that works on dispersing funds to clubs, and the spring semester right now is a busy season because we're getting ready to allocate budgets to all clubs for the next school year. This is a late meeting but it's a really great thing to be a part of so it's worth it.

Homework and Bedtime: 1:00/2:00am
Whether it's after the SOC meeting or after my conlaw class, it's always nice to return to my dorm after a long day of being gone. Sometimes I make dinner or flop o the couch for half an hour before getting to the next day's homework. Usually, my homework is reading for my state and local political class, and reading for my Spanish literature class. For Spanish, I go over to a friend's dorm and we usually do the reading together after she gets out of frisbie practice at 10:00. Eventually, I get to sleep around 1 or 2 most nights, I have a bad habit of staying up late.


So that's a pretty typical Wednesday for me. I hope you found it helpful! If you have any questions or want to chat about life at LC, just email me at quentingaul@lclark.edu