Where did the Semester Go?

The semester remains chaotic, challenging, yet oddly charming. My second round of midterms for the semester is amiss. Registration and the end of the semester are on the horizon and I find myself utterly bewildered by the fact that finals week is fast approaching and the entire month of October has sped right on by. 


So I want to take a moment on all that has happened so far this semester, and in the month of October and gain some perspective on all that's left to come this semester.


This semester started off with a bang with all VNSTs and NSO which my friends and I were involved in leading. Then classes began and the beginning of semester lull was incredibly peaceful and serene. In hindsight I yearn to be back in that period of time, savoring the lingering growth and adventures that the summer had brought. Everyone was so elated to see one another, catch up on three months worth of life and finally have a chance to get to know each other beyond the rigid bounds of the pod guidelines from last year. 


This energy was in many ways matched by the excitement to begin a new year of school and return to life with some semblance of normalcy. Personally, I was both excited to have a semester with only STEM classes, which I knew I would enjoy but also be challenged by. 


Then the schoolwork started to build up and the stress of exams and the ebb and flow that seems to follow college life resumed and everyone returned to school mode. Though it wasn’t all bad. I truly was enjoying the content in my classes as well as the freedoms of being a second year student and having so many more opportunities to explore Portland. 


Then, as the stress of midterms, study abroad applications and all other things seemed to peak, fall break quelled all that stress and helped everyone rest, rejuvenate and prepare for the next chunk of the semester. 


The uncertainty that the semester has brought now seems to be resolving itself and leaving in its place a sense of hope and excitement for next semester. 


Many of my friends and I received decisions on our study abroad applications. As I type this I have taken four exams out of the seven which I will take over the course of the semester, (two of which I’ll be taking in the next 3 days), and next week registration begins. There are about four and a half weeks of class left and I know that these remaining four weeks will speed by just as quickly as the semester so far as passed by. I find myself longing to see my family back in Colorado, and I know that soon enough I will be able to see them and hopefully spending time at home for Thanksgiving will give me the last push I need to finish off this semester strong.


This semester has seemingly flown by, and though everyone has been incredibly stressed this semester, we’re all going to get through this last bit of the semester and at this moment we should all feel incredibly proud of all that we’ve managed to accomplish. 


So if you are reading this and feeling stressed and overwhelmed by all that has happened this semester and all that you still have to do, that is so valid and you are so valid in feeling that way. This semester has been truly insane, and though in many ways it feels like it’s been a return to normal, COVID is still a thing, and on top of that simply adjusting to all the changes that have come up this year also takes energy but through all of that you’ve persisted and you will make it through the rest of this semester and all that stress will pass. So too anyone who needs to hear this: YOU are so capable, and you have accomplished so much already this semester!


Here are some pictures from over the course of the semester, including fun Halloweekend pics:





Thanks for reading!

-Priyanka