let's talk: feburary dipped

 hi, hello & welcome! this week’s blog will be about our BLACK HISTORY MONTH HERITAGE DINNER!

LET’S TALK:

FEBRUARY may have been a short month, but it’s black history month all day, everyday in my book and I think it was an interesting month for LC as well. LC will be transcending with new leadership beginning next school year, as Robin Sullivan-Holmes will be our next president, two weeks from now is our spring ball (great gatsby themed), and on a personal note: my friend and I were accepted into the ecuador overseas program for spring 2023 semester! For those who enjoy LC updates although social media is a great way to stay connected, also check out our PIO LOG newspaper by students for students!



BLACK HISTORY MONTH heritage dinner was a first for me at LC. If I remember correctly, I believe heritage month dinners are something new IME implemented this year (I might be wrong lol). From my understanding the heritage dinners IME has featured serve multiple purposes, they’re meant to allow community groups to come together and celebrate and honor the ancestry we claim. Although those who identify as allies are more than welcome to join and support friends, learn something new, meet new students and more, the events are spaces created for minority faculty and students. 


Last night (friday) I had the chance to attend the dinner located in Smith Hall and be introduced deeper into Ghanaian music and their instruments by LC’s wonderful Ghanaian Music professor. It was a surreal experience and the music made me feel nostalgic. During the performances I thought back to the welcome dance and chant my family and I were greeted with from our extended family upon our arrival in Kenya after 11 years . There was amazing food from a restaurant I do not know the name of- sorry :( I promise when I figure it out, the next blog shall have the information. 


Unfortunately I didn’t take any photos from our event, but I know that @ime_lc will be posting their photos and maybe videos! And I’ll leave with the beautiful photo and excerpt by Audre Lorde that I absolutely am in awe with.


until next time,

tchau


downtown portland: