A Variety of Work

There are lots of things I love about going to a liberal arts college, and one of them is how much variety I find in my classes and the opportunities I'm presented with. This weekend I had a lot of work to do, but there were so many different types of assignments that if I got tired of working on one thing, I could move onto a different one for a break.

For colonial Latin American history, I have to do a fair amount of reading- 128 pages, or the entirety of part one of "Ambivalent Conquests- Maya and Spaniard in Yucatan, 1517-1570" for Tuesday. I'll admit, I have only read about half of this so far. I only have class and meetings until 7 tomorrow, so I'll have time after that, right?

For drawing, we had a three part assignment. We're working with charcoal, and had to draw two objects with the light source situated on the side of the drawing. The third drawing had to be a combination of the first two, and had to be from our imagination. For that, the light had to be coming from in front of the object. My first two drawings were of my ukulele and some flowers. The flowers were a lot harder to draw than I was expecting, and I ended up getting kind of lost in all the leaves. My third drawing, which I'm finishing now, is a ukulele, but with flowers instead of the strings. I think I like it. I tend to get somewhat frustrated and dislike my work, but after I step back for a bit, it usually looks better.

In Spanish conversation we are presenting on movies next week. I have to create a five minute presentation about House of the Spirits. I requested to go on Wednesday since I knew I'd be busy this weekend, so I have yet to plan that.

Finally, in environmental education, we went on a field trip! We went to Oxbow park, a park southeast of Portland on the Sandy River, which forms from snow melt from Mt. Hood and ends up joining the Columbia. We spent a while looking for animal tracks, then got to sit and do a "spot-sit" exercise where you stay still for 45 minutes to an hour, and observe everything around you. It wakes up your senses, and after a while you start to notice different smells and subtle sounds that you wouldn't have noticed otherwise. After that, we went for a hike through some 700 year old forests before heading back to campus.
the view from my spot
some of the REALLY TALL trees in the ancient forest
some very nice spores on this sword fern (for this class we have to be able to recognize 20 native plants and birds, so we got to practice our identification on the trip)
So there you have it- a field trip, a presentation, drawings, and reading- pretty much everything you can do. I enjoy all of my work though, and it's rewarding to be able to turn everything in.

This next week is short, since it's fall break this coming Thursday-Sunday. I'm going home to Minnesota, where I'm heading up to Lake Superior with my dad and sister. Should be fun!

If you have any questions, please email me at rekidder@lclark.edu! I'll happily answer!

-Rebecca