Busy is as busy does

Hey All!

And midterms are just around the corner....They really creep up on you. One minute it's the normal constant flow of readings and essays and then BAM. Midterms. Next week is going to be an interesting one...For now I'm trying to get a head start on all the work I need to do before starting to study/write my heart out.

One of the questions I get most often from perspective students is how many hours do I study a night? This is often very hard to answer since it greatly varies on what classes you are taking. All classes expect different amounts and kinds of work. Different people also spend different amounts of time of homework. There are so many variables that I can't give a concrete number. For me it even depends week to week!

For example, as an art minor focusing in ceramics I have spent a fair amount of time in the art building in the ceramics studio. When a project was due soon it was generally not uncommon for me to spend 6 hours in the studio working. That kind of working feels very different than writing a paper but is often a larger time commitment. Tonight for homework I have probably around 50 pages of reading for Art History and Origin of Life in the Universe  combined; both those are for tomorrow. I also have homework to turn in for Origins due Friday that I got a start on today. For Thursday I'll start on the around 80 pages of reading for my Anthropology of Violence class (plus a response based on the reading), and 30 or so for Social Theory. I also need to show up for Social Theory with a working thesis for an essay due next week. I also need to work on my resume and start applying for summer internships.

This week is not too busy homework wise. Like I said next week I have a lot going on, all on top of the normal work load. It's often unrealistic to do everything assigned. Part of being in college is learning where to focus your time and how to prioritize. Some reading needs to be done very in depth and some can be skimmed.

So, short post today, as you can see I have a bit of homework to do and I need to eat dinner at some point! Hope you all have a great President's Day-week. As always please e-mail me at smiller@lclark.edu with any questions, musings or comments!

Sara