Activities

The spring activities fair was held today, and I was reminded of one of the (many) reasons I love Lewis & Clark.

There were a lot of tables, for a lot of activities. Sports teams, political organizations, community service based groups, co-operatives... the list goes on. When I made my rounds, people from the ASLC (our student government), the rugby club, and the co-op (a student run coffee house on campus) all tried to recruit me. I had to decline because I'm already so busy with the activities I am involved with- ukulele orchestra, ENVS Symposium, classes, community service days, College Outdoors... that list also goes on. The point is, we have lots of activities to choose from, and they're all very open groups that want people to participate. I would be involved in so many more activities if I felt like I could handle it, and I'm glad to know that, as a second-semester sophomore, I am still welcome to join activities that I haven't joined up until now.

The activities fair was a nice way to start my second week of classes. My first week went by quickly, and I can happily say that I like all of my classes and professors this semester. I can't say which class I like the most, because they're all so different, but I think they're my favorite set of classes (as a whole) that I've taken thus far (also, collectively, the most challenging).

I'm taking intro to econ, which I'm surprisingly enjoying. I really hated econ in high school, but it's been five years since I took it, so I guess it makes sense that my interests may have changed. My professor is really great at connecting econ to other subjects, which warms my environmental studies, interdisciplinary-loving heart.

My second class is Global Resource Dilemmas, which is technically an IA class but I'm getting ENVS credit for it. It's super interesting, and we're reading a lot of articles that are challenging "progressive" environmental thought and what it means to be an environmentalist. We're being forced to think outside of the box, which is challenging but enjoyable. I'm definitely getting a lot from the class.

My third class is Spanish, which is a lit class focused on Enlightenment-present literature. It's also challenging, but I think it may be easier than last semester- at least the Spanish is more current. For some reason I have a hard time making myself talk in Spanish classes, but I'm working on overcoming that, and I think I'm getting better at it.

My fourth major class is ENVS 330, or "Situating Environmental Problems and Solutions." It's the 3rd core class of the ENVS program. I'm really excited, because we are going on two field trips this semester- one to go canoeing in the Columbia Slough (which I'm especially pumped about, since canoeing is kinda my gig), and the second to go to Willapa Bay in order to learn about the aquaculture there (and go camping!!).

I'm also taking Self Defense for Women, which is a PE credit. It may actually be my most challenging class, just because I'm am pretty out of shape, physically. I'm still sore from class last Thursday. But I know it will become easier, and we are learning really valuable skills. Plus, it's good to get a work out now and then, probably. At least, that's what I'm telling myself.

Finally, I'm also getting credit for Symposium work. At this point we are just meeting once a week, but we have a lot of work to do outside of the meetings. Tomorrow, we're having a workshop so people can work on proposing sessions. I'm really excited, and I have a good feeling about how they will turn out. We also almost have our keynotes decided on, which is really exciting, especially because that is something that I specifically have been working on.

All of this, combined with the WFR class I took over break, puts me at 20 credits, meaning I am technically over-loading. This is my first semester doing so, so we'll see how it goes. I feel good so far. I don't have any labs, which means I have about 8 hours more free time each week than I did last semester. Let the semester commence!
A highlight of the week was pondering how people got these plastic flamingos into a tree in the ravine.
As always, email me at rekidder@lclark.edu if you have any questions or comments or anything, on anything. I will respond, and probably quickly!

Rebecca