23 Days

Twenty-three more days of school! Including finals! Only 16 days until classes are over! Including weekends! That's only 12 more days of class!

I can't believe how quickly this year has gone by. At this time last year I was thinking the same thing, and I dare say that this year has gone by even more quickly. I feel like I'm really established my place here, which is an amazing feeling. My first year was filled with my trying a ton of different activities and classes, and now I'm at the point where I'm really committed to a few activities and am only taking classes related to my majors. I continue to be amazed at how kind and friendly everyone here is. I'm still making new friends, and growing even closer with the friends I already have. I definitely attribute this to the small student body and the plethora of opportunities to meet new people. I feel like if I went to a larger school, I wouldn't have the same chances to get to know everyone to the same extent that I do here.

As close as we are to the end of the semester, I have a ton of work to do. I have a twelve page paper, probably about 100 pages of reading a week, and a final for Global Resource Dilemmas. In Spanish I have another ~50 pages a class, a test tomorrow, and another test around the time of finals. I'm finishing up a ~30 page research paper for Environmental Studies, plus my group has to make a poster. We also have to read ~20 pages each class, post in forums about the readings, and edit our concentrations. For Econ I have to study for a test we have next Thursday, then study more for our final. Luckily we've covered everything we are going to in that class, but I definitely have a lot of studying I need to do. I also have a final project I'm working on for Self Defense for Women. On top of all of this, we are sprinting to the end of the semester in terms of Symposium work, because we don't want to have to do too much over the summer. I'm Skyping with one of our keynotes on Thursday, and am working on editing our website, supporting my scholarly session liaison, and contributing to other general planning.

Somehow, I'm continuing to find time for College Outdoors trips. This last weekend I went on a backpack service project in the Klickitat Wilderness in Washington. It was beautiful! We were pulling out old barbed wire in a wildlife refuge that used to be private property.
Daphne and I struggling with rolling the barbed wire
It was tiring work, but rewarding. Apparently deer get caught in it, then die of stress, so I'm glad we were able to help out. The people we were working with were amazing, really interesting people, so it was also cool to get to talk to them about their lives.
Some of us hanging out with a truck full of the barbed wire we pulled
We then backpacked to our campsite down by a river. It was so pretty! The trail was an old road that ran along side these hills, so the views were amazing. It was pretty quiet and felt remote, despite the trial being an old road.
Not a bad place for lunch!
We got back Sunday evening, and I was up until two working with my ENVS group on our research paper. I'm glad I went, though, and am going on two more trips this coming weekend (a training for leading ethnobotany and wildflower trips, and a canoe outing). I'm really busy, but feel good about it.

If you have any questions about anything, email me at rekidder@lclark.edu!

-Rebecca