More Sunshine!

Update: IT IS STILL SUNNY HERE. It has been sunny all week! My roommate Sully, her friend Sarah, and I spent the afternoon on the lawn outside Akin Hall on yoga mats and towels, and wearing our bathing suits of all things! We may or may not have gotten sunburned, but it was worth it. I, like so many here at Lewis and Clark, am a California native, so seeing the sun out for such a long time was so nice. Although I enjoy the rain here in Portland, I really do love sunshine and love it all the more when it comes less often.


View of the trees in bloom from the Akin Lounge

While we were outside, I worked on my Mesopotamian astronomy research paper and looked at food blogs in preparation for writing an article for the next issue of the Pioneer Log. I’m interviewing two student chefs later today and there’ll be recipes and photos and deliciousness. Meanwhile, Sarah worked on her kanji work for Japanese, and Sully did Spanish homework. They both have foreign languages incorporated into their required classes, since Sarah is a Foreign Languages (Japanese and Spanish) major and Sully is a double major in English and Hispanic Studies. Sarah is also fluent in French from living in Belgium for most of her adolescence. I’m only studying English and know very rudimentary Spanish from high school, so my skill set is pretty boring in comparison to all those lovely polyglots out there. Maybe I will take a foreign language class next year.

Let’s see… what else has been going on lately besides relaxing my way through this lovely, sunlit afternoon? Well, by far the most exciting thing that has happened in the last week was discovering that Hillary Rodham Clinton would be speaking in Portland on Tuesday! We only found out Monday night, and were able to buy the tickets when they went on sale Tuesday morning. It was a real spur-of-the-moment thing, but I knew it would be the opportunity of a lifetime. It was truly amazing to hear her speak. She even made a reference to Voodoo Doughnut! Afterward, my friends and I agreed that being in college means being in a place to go to incredible events like that. I'm so glad I went.

Besides that, life has gone on as usual. I wrote for the Pioneer Log, hosted some prospective students, went downtown a few times, went to class, read, studied… Nothing too exciting. I took the bus to Fred Meyer yesterday because I like to switch up what I eat for breakfast once in a while. Last month I was eating bagels with peanut butter and Nutella, and now I’ve moved on to oatmeal with bananas, blueberries, and honey. It’s sweet, but healthier than anything made with Nutella! I always make my own breakfast in my room because my meal plan covers 14 meals per week, and I prefer to use those meal swipes for lunch and dinner.


My breakfast this morning

Well, I know that all you prospective students are making your decisions around now. I know that everyone needs to make their own choices based on their own needs and desires, but I sincerely hope you’ll come to Lewis and Clark. I personally have found it to be a wonderful place. 

Any more questions? Email me at jessicakostka@lclark.edu!

Best,

Jess