From Bigger Schools to Smaller Schools, From Midterms to Mountains - Another Fun & Busy Week


Hi all!
It’s been another huge week of classes, midterms, and everything else that comes with student life, but as I walked down the stone path to class one morning, I realized how many people I said “hi!” to or had a conversation with. I found that in the less than 2 months I’ve been at LC, I’ve made many many new friends, but I believe the more important thing is that I see my friends all the time inside and outside of class. This is a huge change for a student like myself who transferred from a big public university. For some of you, this might be a “heck yes! Stranger danger,” but for others, your reaction might be more of a “why do you keep showing up in my life.” Both I think are valid responses, but in reality, LC shows a nice combination of both worlds: walking down from the student center to the classrooms, you will always pass people you know, but you will also always pass people you don’t know at all!
The "Path to Class" from the Templeton Campus Center to the Academic side of campus is very picturesque and passes by the Frank Manor House.
So for you big city big university folks, think about it this way: that cute girl/boy you had a nice moment with while walking to class but didn’t get the chance to hand over #’s? At LC, you’ll (probably) have a second chance sometime soon ;) In a more serious tone, some students who are used to larger communities sometimes do need a break, and that’s what Portland and the Northwest is there for. Take a trip to downtown for a day or a weekend outdoor expedition, and I guarantee it, you’ll be missing the familiar faces of LC in no time. I know other transfer students from large universities (think UArizona), and they also appreciate the chances to build deeper connections with other students. So all in all, be open about colleges with a community that is on the smaller side (LC’s undergraduates number ~2300 students); it’s more fun than you think!

For Fun

A mini-waterfall at the top of
Multnomah Falls
This past weekend was Fall Break, a 4-day weekend that comes around the time mid-term exams begin. For most freshmen, this is their first real opportunity to go home, but for the rest of us, Fall Break is a time to get out into the Pacific Northwest and explore! A lover of the fresh air, I naturally headed outside to get some fresh dirt on my boots. Our first stop was the close by Multnomah Falls, Oregon’s tallest waterfall. In the summertime, the trail leading up to the falls is packed, but our hour climb was much more enjoyable as the crowds were small, which allowed us to take in the sound of water dropping 542 feet (165m) and the smell of the Pacific Northwest forests. We also camped out at Mt. Rainier National Park about 2.5 hours away and had some great camping, hiking, and (my favorite) fooding: think camp quesadillas and chowder. It was my first time at Mt. Rainier, and while we didn’t actually get to see the mountain because of the rainy/foggy weather, we still had some golden moments, like when Jack put on Old Crow Medicine Show’s 2012 Album Carry Me Back and we sang the whole thing through all the way back to Portland.

Rainy Days at Mt. Rainier