What A Busy Week

Wow! It's only been two weeks (okay, three weeks including this one) and it has already been so incredibly busy with schoolwork and events around campus.

First, and obviously of great importance to me, was that my first thesis proposal draft was due last Friday. It was a very long and late night, but I submitted it and got a very positive reception from my professor. I'm currently revising some parts and digging into raw data for my particular case study. I'll be looking at recent escalations between Israel and Palestine over disputed ownership of heritage sites.
I had a major breakthrough today after meeting with my thesis advisor and clarifying my hypotheses. I then met with a librarian at Watzek library who helped me find sources for raw evidence and data for my theories that I will be testing. So far, so good! I will definitely be working hard this weekend to edit my proposal and make serious headway in seeking more data sources.

Other great things around campus...

Last Wednesday, I went to a fiction reading in the Frank Manor House by Natalie Serber. She was invited to campus by the English Department, and the reading was from one of her current works-in-progress. It was funny, heartbreaking, and ultimately relatable - I found it especially compelling as inspiration as I was working later that night on my English class's writing assignment.


Natalie Serber at the Manor House reading

Well, I'm still very sore from Fit Club, the club that meets weekdays for group exercises. We did cardio and some pilates on Monday and Tuesday respectively, and I am still sore!

This Wednesday, my and a friend got free pie at an event hosted by Pioneers for Pioneers, a new initiative started by ASLC (student government) for students. Their goal is to fundraise to help supplement existing financial aid to help LC students when the situation changes too quickly for traditional aid to kick in.


Pie-oneers for Pioneers


That same night, I went to a Chamberlain Social Justice event with the Office of Religious and Spiritual Life. There was a reading of a one-act play written by LC alum Jeannie LaFrance ('88) by the Community of Welcoming Congregation's acting troupe, "The Drama Queens." The play, called "You Have Always Been Welcome Here" follows the actual stories of four trans people as they navigate questions of identity, community, and faith. The reading was followed by an intimate and honest discussion with the actors and audience about the piece and the historical context that it existed in.

I think I'll include the events of today in my next blog entry, but I'll leave you with these photos of the clear days we had last week, before the current downpour hit us. Bonus points for that incredible view of Mt. Hood!




--
Nicole
ncalande@lclark.edu