Q&A with Current LC Students

Happy Halloween everyone! The end of October is finally here and I know that a lot of you are putting in applications for college around this time. It's stressful (trust me, I've been there), but I promise you'll get through it. For some extra help, I asked three LC students about their experiences applying to colleges, how they narrowed their choices, and why they felt LC was the right pick for them.

Sydney '21 

What/who eased the application process for you?

The people working in the LC admissions office helped me a lot with the application process. Don't be afraid to contact school's and ask them your own questions! The LC admissions office was really open to answering all of the questions I had beforehand.

What are some tips you would give to students applying to colleges now? 

DON'T STRESS!! I stressed way too much when I was applying for college, which made the application process miserable. Just remember, college is going to be a great experience and that all the work you are doing now to apply is totally worth it.

What made you feel that LC was the right pick for you? 

I knew it was right for me as soon as I saw how beautiful the campus and city was. I also loved the small size of the school and the small class sizes that it offered.

Erin '21 

What was stressful for you when applying to college? 

My goal is to become an athletic trainer. What was stressful for me, was finding a school that would offer me opportunities to get involved with working with student athletes. I also needed to attend a school that had a small student to professor ratio because that is the environment I need to efficiently learn. The difficulties I had was finding a school that catered to that.

What advice would you give to students who are having trouble with narrowing their choices? 

On paper, schools looked similar to me. My advice would be to GO VISIT! The feeling you get while being on a campus tells you a lot about whether or not you should apply. On my visits, I was able to see if they had the opportunities I needed to fulfill my own goals.

What made you feel that LC was the right pick for you? 

The moment I stepped on campus and I saw students interacting amongst one another. They looked so happy and it made me see how my future as a pioneer could be just as successful as theirs!

Serena '19

What helped you with easing the application process for college? 

I was always asking my teachers and counselor for advice, whether it be about which schools to apply to or looking over my essay's. Also, do not procrastinate! It can be a little overwhelming with all the deadlines, so I would set mini goals for myself to stay organized. For example, on one day, I would finish a supplemental essay and then next week, finish another one.

What was your main concern when applying to colleges? 

In high school, I played high school basketball, AAU basketball, was a part of two clubs, worked, and took challenging courses. Due to my busy schedule, I wasn't able to study as much as I wanted or needed too. My grades were good, but they could have been better if I had not done so many extracurriculars. Due to this, my biggest concern was how much colleges took into account the amount of extracurriculars a student was involved in.

What made you feel that LC was the right pick for you? 

I felt that LC was right for me because the community emphasized well-rounded individuals. I am able to play a sport, take interesting classes, meet with the Career Center, and participate in clubs, like College Outdoors.

I hope this helped all of you applying to schools right now. Just remember, have fun with it! If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me an email at jillianjin@lclark.edu. 

Until next time,

Jillian