Fall Classes Update

Hello everyone!

This week I had my second international affairs midterm which I felt really good about. I went to a midterm election viewing party in the library. I got registered in the first round of registrations for Bio 151 for next semester which I am excited about. I really like learning about genetics and evolution so I am really looking forward to bio 151.  I went downtown with my roommate to get fun Christmas decorations. We also got fried rice at one of my favorite food trucks and coffee at this cafe called “Heart” which was really fun!
Heart

I am finally done with all of my midterms and there are only 5 weeks till finals. All of my classes have been going really well. We got our assignment for the final in Colonial Latin American History which is to make a museum exhibit regarding race and labor in Latin America. One team gets to curate the museum and the other teams create pieces to help tell answer the historical question. We have been learning about mestizaje and castizaje in Latin America which is so fascinating. The ideas of separations between racial groups but also unifying the people under one label.

My Chinese 201 class has been going well too. I like the class because it is really easy and mostly speaking based so class time is spent reading the textbook aloud and practicing sentence patterns. Taking a language through the 201 level completes the language requirement at LC so I won’t be taking Chinese anymore - mainly because I don’t have any available time to continue Chinese classes as I am planning on double majoring in international affairs and biology.

I really love my IA 100 class which is Intro to International Relations. It is so cool to learn about all the different aspects of the international system. IA is something I definitely want to pursue as a career. We just had a midterm that was open notes so that was super helpful. There’s a lot of reading for the class and we read the New York Times every morning to prepare for class. It’s awesome to read the paper every morning and be informed about what’s happening.


In my Exploration & Discovery, we just finished reading Virginia Woolf’s A Room of One’s Own and are starting the Communist Manifesto. I just wrote an essay comparing incrementalism and radicalism in relation to the Arab Spring. My E&D class is really interesting because we spend most classes discussing current events and issues in depth and relating them to our readings. Next semester I am in an E&D class called Understanding How We Understand the Maya which I hope will be cool because I like history and learning about the ancient civilizations in Latin America.

Have a wonderful day!

Sarah