LET'S TALK: study tips

 here's to blog #8:

hi, hello & welcome! I’ve been a bit on and off with my Let’s Talk niche. I’m going to do my best to keep it going as for the current students and prospective students. I'm very passionate about discussing a variety of topics including racial positionality, first generation student and immigrant realities, finances, keeping an open channel as best I can between those at LC and those considering LC.


So getting into it, this blog will be about preparing for finals tips and suggestions, especially for those of marginalized communities. Please keep in mind that this is all subjective and from my perspective and personal opinion:


Tip #1: study/work in Miller, Howard, Maggies

If you’re like me and need to move away from a comfortable space and prefer to get the big assignments done in more constructive environments, Watzek Library is probably everyones’ first go to. There’s nothing really wrong with Watzek, but sometimes staying in an environment for a long period of time throughout the day and the semester can be old and boring. I offer a new option, almost all of the classrooms in Millar & Howard are never in use after the day of classes are over. I’ve worked in conference rooms in Miller- 3rd & 4th floor, by myself. I find it to be very effective because there’s more space, sometimes small desks vs tables.  

tip 1.2: if you're a person that works with schedules, mark your calendar with the time you intend to work, and do you best to stick to it. I've heard the 25min work- 5 min break technique is working for some students, or the 1 hour work-10/15 min break...

IT WILL BE A CONTINOUS PROCESS ADAPTING TO A COLLEGE SCHEDULE THAT WORK FOR YOU INDIVDUALLY, don't be too hard on yourself if things are changing very quickly. (i'm still figuring out a type of schudule I can effectively work with in terms of homework, being an employee, being a student- classes, eating, social time and self time. it's not always easy).

  


Tip #2: HAVE A SNACK BAG:

One of my friends started this lil thing, and I caught onto it real quick. Whether it’s a long day of classes or studying for midterms & finals I now carry a snack bag with me. I don’t particularly enjoy walking back and forth from my room or maggies or even the BON to the academic side of campus, it’s not my vibe. In my snack bag I usually have some type of fruit (usually oranges, sometimes apples (from the BON), apple sauce- I know what you might be thinking, apple sauce is for children, well I’m going to have to disagree lol. Applesauce is a perfect snack for anyone, a solid amount to keep something in your stomach if you’re running late. Maybe I’ll have yogurt, chips, ALWAYS WATER. 

Sometimes I forget to take care of myself but if I have my snack bag, I know there are small options, because we basically run on the BON’s timeline.


Tip #3: get off campus

If you can, if you have the necessary resources and time, I always recommend leaving campus for sometime. There are many cafes near PSU which students can access through the PIO that runs almost constantly, venturing off and stepping away from an environment that drains you is a great way to recharge, and remember that THERE’S LIFE OUTSIDE THE ENVIRONMENT OF LC/ ACADEMIA. Work off campus and/or change of scenery.


Tip #4: study groups…

I feel like study groups can mean a couple different things. If you like studying with people in your environment, it’s just a few people in silence most of the time but not in a weird creepy way. Or genuine study groups, coming together to work on a group project, gives people a sense of familiarity. 


Tip #5: take advantage of the resources LC provides 

LC, IME/GE, Affinity groups, they’ll always most likely be something going on not only throughout the semester but especially during exams week where resources are going to be provided to help students boost their engagement. Like study sessions, care packages, little get together meetings usually with snacks. TAKE ADVANTAGE, not only is it a good reason for a break but also a chance at free snacks :)


Tip #6: naps! (my fav)

I don’t think I need to say more ;)


got our booster shots and they gave us DC band-aids :) 

this is what an average table looks like:
food, books, coffee, energy drinks, water, music, laptops