spring break :)

 Hi everyone! 

For those of you who had your spring breaks as well this last week, I hope they were restful + fun :)

My break wasn't too exciting, but it was nice to visit home. I'm from a little town in Central Oregon called Madras. It's about 3-4 hours from LC campus, on the other side of Mt. Hood. It's a high desert region, so a very different landscape from Portland. So many people don't realize that most of Oregon is a desert! The population is about 8,000, so it's definitely on the small side. Most people from outside of Oregon (and a lot of people from here) have never even heard of it! There's not much to do in town, but the surrounding area is stunning and there are lots of outdoorsy activities, including world-class rock climbing twenty minutes away at Smith Rock. We also have some excellent Mexican restaurants (Pepe's is my favorite) and food trucks. It's worth stopping for lunch if you're on your way through!

My mom drove back to campus with me, and we decided to check out the newly remodeled cafe in the downtown Powell's. It's now called the Guilder Cafe, and is themed after the Princess Bride movie and book (yes, it was a book first! And a really good one, too). Even the food and drinks are themed after the movie. I got an amazing chai with their "miracle pill" blend of spices and a bagel bun filled with herb cream cheese. 

Check out the Princess Bride themed serving paper :)


While it's nice to be back on campus, I definitely have been feeling a little melancholy. Over the past year, I've really come to love my current roommates, living space, and routine. The last month of the school year can admittedly be a little rough for me as I start to dread the approaching change, on top of the stress of move-out, finals, and everything else. But I'm starting to realize it's just part of being in college- and I've still got a month left before going home!

I hope y'all have great weeks :)

xo

Ashleen