Only 4 days off?

Ahh, Fall Break.  Part much needed time for relaxation, part heartbreakingly short hiatus from homework and midterms.

Yes, this past weekend was Fall Break here at Lewis & Clark.  With so many possibilities, the only problem is deciding what it is you're going to do for that extended, yet somehow brief, weekend.  Some people visited home, some explored Portland, and still others just stayed on campus and caught up on sleep and homework.  I, along with my roommates and a few other friends, chose to head south to my roommate John's family cabin in Twain Harte, CA.


Wednesday night, after classes, the 9 of us packed up two cars with all of our stuff and headed out.  California does't seem too far away, right?  The 14 hour drive was pretty rough.  Luckily, I didn't have to do the whole thing.  And when I was driving, my friends were there to talk to me and keep me awake.
Seriously, it was a LONG drive.
Once we got there, it was totally worth it.  John's cabin was perfect.  Just enough room for us to sleep comfortably, and the town of Twain Harte was awesome.  We went for a hike around the lake, went fishing (and caught a fish, too!), checked out all of the shops in town, took turns making dinner. (I made broiled portabella mushrooms for the first time and I don't want to brag, but they were pretty good.)  Honestly, our stay in the cabin was just the right amount of relaxation while still doing something exciting for our break.

We didn't have a bucket or anything, so this is how we got our fish back to the cabin.
As you can see, I didn't enjoy the smell.

My roommates, Kyle, Steven, and John, enjoying the view during our hike.


The drive back on Sunday wasn't quite as bad.  Most of us had homework waiting for us in Portland, so we made it the whole way in just under 12 hours.  I was pretty tuckered out after that, but it was well worth it.  It was a great trip, and I wish it could've lasted longer.  I guess I'll have to wait until next Fall Break.

As always, thanks for reading! If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment, or shoot me an email: hhigger@lclark.edu