Mega Weekend

Last weekend was extremely busy, but it was one of the most fun weekends I've had in a while. Especially after all of my tests last week, it was nice to have non-studying related activities to do.

Friday was my brother's fiancée's birthday, so I went over to their apartment and hung out. It was just us and one of her friends, who I'm going to be a bridesmaid with at their wedding this summer. It was fun to meet her, and we all went out to dinner then ate cake and watched TV. When I got back, I joined some of my friends in their dorm and we made FUN da-Middles (which I had never heard, of but I guess are nostalgic for some people. They're essentially cream filled cupcakes).
make-shift kitchen in the dorm room
Saturday was the international fair. I live in Akin, which is the multicultural dorm (and has a lot of international students), so I had to help out in some way. I got up extremely early (8 AM on a Saturday!) and helped put up streamers and fill balloons. Then, during normal brunch hours, people ran booths from all over the world. The food was great, and there were some really cool performances. There more more performances later, but I didn't get to go because I had to do my homework.
One of the performances- they sounded really cool!
On Sunday afternoon I went birding with College Outdoors. We drove into Washington to a national wildlife refuge, and did a driving loop as well as a short hike. We saw some really cool birds (and other animals)! An owl, some eagles, a crane, some swans, a heron eating a snake, a coyote, a tree frog, and a bunch of nutria (including one that was albino). I'm planning on signing up for some more CO trips. They're really fun, not super expensive, and give you a chance to get off campus and explore what's nearby.
the birding group
And now, we're back in the swing of the week. I had another midterm on Monday in E&D, but I have a good feeling about it. I still have an environmental studies midterm to take next weekend. The season is wrapping up, though! We only have a few more weeks until spring break, and only a little more than a month after that until the semester is over. Then some of you will come here! I'm both amazed and saddened by how fast this year has gone by. It's been great, but I can't believe I'm already almost a quarter of the way done with my time here.

As always, email me with any questions (or videos of cats- this is my current favorite) at rekidder@lclark.edu. Have a good week!

Rebecca