Next Year

We just keep getting closer to the end of the year! This week we start signing up for classes for next semester, and also figure out our housing. It's kind of stressful, but LC's support with both things is comforting. I know that I will eventually end up with the classes I need, because the school is good at helping you figure that kind of thing out. Professors know that it can be hard to juggle major requirements (especially if you're double majoring) and general ed requirements, and help you figure out how to get into the classes that you need. For example, my environmental studies professor said that anyone who is majoring in environmental studies is guaranteed a spot in the class we have to talk next fall, even though there are only thirty spots. It takes some stress out of planning knowing that there will be space for you in the classes you need.

Housing is stressful because I'm not sure if I'm going to get into my first choice dorm, but because of the residency requirement, I'm guaranteed housing on campus next year. It's definitely less stressful than at some bigger schools, where I know people who don't know at all where they are going to live because there aren't enough dorms. Both my first registration time and the housing lottery are on Thursday, so I'm eager for that to be over with.

Classes are getting really, really busy. On Friday, I have a rough draft of my environmental studies course project due, an annotated bibliography and revised artifact proposal due in E&D, and normal French and Spanish homework (which includes writing a sonnet) on top of that. Saturday is Spring Into Action, which is a day where a lot of LC students go out and volunteer around Portland. I am one of two project leaders for the group that's going to the Oregon Food Bank, and had training for that tonight. It will be nice to get off campus for something other than studying! Next weekend I'm going on two College Outdoor trips (kayaking and hiking). I'm really excited for those, though I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to fit my homework in. Then we have two more weekends, finals, and we're done!

I think the highlight of my last weekend was when I went downtown to study on Saturday. Every time we go downtown, my friends and I notice this sign outside of this restaurant that says "café and wine bar." We've always assumed we could go in and get coffee, so last weekend my friend Annabel and I decided to try and do homework in there. Turns out it was a seafood restaurant, and not the type of restaurant where it's especially okay to get out your laptop and work.
Annabel got tea, at least
We finished our food pretty quickly and went next door to the best frozen yogurt place in Portland and studied there instead. At least it was an adventure!

As always, if you have any questions or would just like to talk, email me at rekidder@lclark.edu.