Happy birthday to me!


                Having a birthday while living in a dorm is a truly wonderful experience. People keep coming down the hall to my room and wishing me a happy birthday and telling me all the cool things I should do since I am an adult now! I feel so incredibly happy and loved. I even got a bunch of gifts from my  family in the mail! I have a few favorites – a little globe ornament that my roommate Sully bought me at the Saturday Market that I had talked about wanting for a long time, and a book that my parents sent me called Humans of New York. Some of you might recognize the name from the Facebook page by the same name. Both the book and the page are full of really cool photos and quotes from random people on the streets of New York City. It’s a truly amazing collection of what it means to be human. You can see some of the photos here.
                It was my friend Aubrie’s birthday yesterday, so to celebrate both of our birthdays we watched Lord of the Rings (the extended edition). We just watched the first one, and later this week we have plans to watch the next two. We would have loved to have done a movie marathon and watch them all at once, but each movie is about four hours long and twelve hours of Lord of the Rings is a little much. Believe me – I’ve done it before. It's intense.
                All in all, this has been one of my best birthdays ever. I am planning on Skyping my parents and grandparents later, and Sully has made me my favorite dessert for after dance class tonight!! It’s ice cream pie made with an Oreo cookie crust, a layer of cookies and cream ice cream, a layer of fudge, and a layer of coffee ice cream. I have it every single year! Here’s a picture of it. Doesn't it look delicious??!

                               

               
                All in all, I feel incredibly happy right now. The only thing bothering me about my life is the fact that I have been trying to eat more healthfully lately, and, well, the ice cream pie is just ONE of the desserts that people have been making me! Like I’ve mentioned before, people in Akin, my dorm, love to bake things. Oh well. One does not simply not eat a lot of junk food on their birthday! And it’s not like I get to turn eighteen every year!
                To all prospective students – good luck with those college applications! I know it’s about time to start sending them off, or even receiving your admissions letters if you applied Early Action like I did. Don’t forget to come visit Lewis and Clark to see if it’s going to be a good fit for you! I know it is for me, but I wouldn't have come here at all if I didn't visit and meet professors and current students and of course, see the beautiful campus. I sat in on an English class when I visited, and I think in the end that was the reason I decided to come here. It was that amazing. Plus, if you stay overnight, you might get to hang out with me (!) since I'm an overnight host for the admissions office.
                As always, you can contact me at jessicakostka@lclark.edu. Have a good Tuesday!
                Until next time,
                Jess