Weekly Update

Good morning! Happy Tuesday! This is going to be a busy week for me. The annual Gender Studies Symposium is starting tomorrow and lasting until Friday, and I’m going to be attending as many events as I have time for. This year, the theme is “Gender, Power, Space”. Here’s a link to this year’s symposium page.

Another thing on my agenda is a pre-trip meeting for a snowshoeing trip with College Outdoors, and then of course the actual trip, which is going to be on Saturday at Mount Hood. You might have noticed that I mentioned doing this before, but then the “Snow-pocalypse” happened and everything on campus shut down or got cancelled, so the snowshoeing trip I should have gone on weeks ago was postponed until this weekend. I’m really excited to go enjoy the snow and smell that fresh, cold mountain air.

Finally, the Theatre department’s performance of As You Like It starts this weekend, and since I am a HUGE fan of Shakespeare, Shakespeare adaptations, and theatre performances in general, I am super stoked to be able to see it. It’s going to be set in the 1970’s, from what I hear. I will probably spend way too much money going to see it multiple times.

Otherwise, it’s business as usual. I’ve got my first history paper due on Thursday for Ancient Greece. I’m writing it on the role of women in the Spartan polis. Meanwhile, my English class – The Art of the Novel – has moved on from Anna Karenina and Pride and Prejudice to Madame Bovary. My professor for that class is incredible. His name is Lyell Asher and I know I will be taking more classes from him in the future, since I am fairly certain at this point that I will be an English major. He teaches two different Shakespeare classes and some classes in Renaissance Literature, and those are all subjects I’m interested in. When I was a prospective student and sat in on a class, he was the professor, and played a big role in making me want to come here.

The course schedule for next semester just came out, so I’ve been spending more time than I should fussing over the logistics of my sophomore year. I’ll be taking English 205: Major Periods and Issues in English Literature for my major, but as I currently have not decided on a minor, there are so many interesting classes that I can’t decide on. Introduction to Classical Studies and Classical Greek 101 for a Classics minor? Do I really want to learn Ancient Greek? Maybe I should just go with a History minor and take Early East Asian History. Then, I’m also interested in Philosophy, and I’ve heard good things about the class called Indian Philosophy, or maybe I could take Philosophy of Religion. Then of course, there’s science classes, since I still need one more for my general education requirements. I’m thinking maybe Climate Science. I wish they offered Environmental Geology this coming term... Anyway, I am clearly the most indecisive person I have ever met. My mom sometimes tells me that choice is a burden, and looking at the massive amount of awesome classes that Lewis and Clark offers, I’m going to have to agree with her. Right now, I'm fervently glad I didn't go to a big college where there are thousands of classes offered each semester.

If you have any questions, I’m available at jessicakostka@lclark.edu!


Jess