The Oregon Coast

Congratulations to my fellow blogger Marissa for her acceptance to the Fulbright program in Colombia! It’s always exciting to hear what my fellow students are doing with their lives.

 Well, spring break just ended. My mom flew up from California on Friday and we rented a car to drive to Seaside for the weekend, which is about two hours from Lewis and Clark. It's a very touristy little town on the coast with streets lined with novelty candy shops and bookstores that serve espresso and lots of seafood restaurants. Using Seaside as our home base, we took a few short trips to different parts of the coast. We drove up to Fort Stevens to walk along the beach and look at the wreck of the Peter Iredale. You can see the metal hull sticking out of the sand with rust and barnacles all over it. There were so many families flying kites and people driving around on the sand with their jeeps. And there were so many dogs! Dogs running free, dogs on leashes, dogs playing fetch, dogs, dogs, and more dogs! My mom and I are both "dog people" so we would cut our conversation short every few minutes to squeal over the nearest cuddly canine. Later, we went over to Astoria to walk around and eat some lunch. Another little excursion was to the little town of Cannon Beach and neighboring Ecola State Park. I had been there before on a College Outdoors trip with some other LC students, so I was able to show my mom around a little. 

Here are some pictures from our trip!



Astoria, OR.


 On the promenade behind our hotel in Seaside, OR.


Right outside our hotel.


Breakfast mocha and cinnamon bagels in Seaside.


Hiking at Ecola State Park.


Ran into this little buddy on the trail!


It was so good to see my mom. We had an amazing trip! 

The coast is truly beautiful, and so close to Portland too. It would be very easy to get to just for a weekend getaway - if only I owned a car. Oh well. That's what College Outdoors is for! Here's a throwback to last year when I went to the coast on a College Outdoors yoga retreat with other LC students.


Here's a link to when I blogged about that trip!

Anyway, it was a great weekend and a great spring break overall. But now it's back into the swing of things. There are just five weeks left, and I've got papers due every week until the end of the semester, projects to do, and final exams to study for. Wish me luck! And I in turn wish you luck in deciding where you'd like to spend the next few years of your life. Choosing a college is tough, but I'm sure that, in time, you'll end up where you're meant to be.

If you've got any questions, email me at jessicakostka@lclark.edu.

Best,

Jess