Hello!

My name is Amelia and I am a first-year (freshman) here at Lewis & Clark.  I come from the small town of White Bluff, Tennessee which is about 45 minutes west of Nashville.  My family consists of my father, mother, younger brother, younger sister, my mouse, a flock of chickens, 2 crazy cats, and 2 parakeets.  I will likely be a biology major and I am not sure whether or not I am going to minor in something.  My hobbies include Venturing (coed scouting for youth 14-21), general outdoors, identifying random plants and eating the safe ones, fire, and wilderness survival/wilderness living.




 
I am a part of the Outdoor Pursuits Living-Learning Community (LLC) housed in Manzanita Hall (AKA Manzi, it’s a part of Forest Hall).  Outdoor Pursuits does all sorts of fun stuff such as weekend trips, ivy pulling parties, and a camp stove brunch every other Sunday.  The Environmental Action LLC is also in Manzi.

 Outdoor Pursuits at Cape Falcon Trail

One of my favorite things about Lewis and Clark is that every class here (or at least the ones I am in) have some sort of active component.  Within the first two weeks of biology everyone designed an experiment to measure the effects of ivy on the local ecosystem, in chemistry lab we’ve been working with gold nanoparticles and spectrometers, in E&D we have massive colloquiums on the books we are reading, and just yesterday most members of German classes went to go see one of three movies in German during Portland’s German Film Festival.  Even if schoolwork is not your favorite thing there are still plenty of opportunities to enjoy it.

Cinema 21 in Portland

I also will be posting here every week for the next semester.  If you have any questions you would like me to answer feel free to send me an email at ameliaberle@lclark.edu.  Have a great week!