November 22nd, 2015

At the Bon (pronounced “bone”), which is what we call the dining hall on campus, the food is pretty good overall, and there are always vegan and vegetarian options available. Here is a link to their website, where they have a list of meals served throughout the week. Friday lunches are the best lunches. Here you can see two different types of smoothies, two different types of curry with rice and lentils and cranberry chutney, and a chicken quesadilla with salsa. Delicious! I usually finish off my meal with coffee and a cookie.



In other news, my final scene for acting class is going along swimmingly. Trevor and I performed our first draft last week and got some good feedback. Here’s a photo of our set in the Black Box theater. Yes, it's literally just a bed. We sit on it together and talk.



As my fellow bloggers have mentioned, there have been some protests going on in response to some racist incidents on campus and on social media. While it’s terrible to be reminded so viscerally that racism is alive and kicking on college campuses in 2015, I’m proud to see my fellow students rallying around this serious issue with love and support. As an artist, I feel that most of what I can do in these dark times is simply add some beauty to the world, or at least make the world’s inherent beauty more visible. So, I was really glad to look out of the window from where I was doing homework in Maggie’s (one of two on-campus coffee shops) and see some of my friends from the theatre department making art on the sidewalk. I asked some people to watch my laptop and backpack and went out to join them despite the icy cold weather and freezing wind. We used chalk to draw flowers and hearts, and write messages. Spread the love!




Anyway, that’s all for now, folks. Much love from Portland. If you have any questions, email me at jessicakostka@lclark.edu.

Best,


Jess