Stressful Times with Better Ahead

Hey friends,

(sorry I didn't post yesterday, it was a busy busy day)

This week has been a bit rough; everyone says "Mondays are the worst" but in my case my Monday and Tuesday seem to be my best days. My Wednesday is always long, I go 9am-9pm with one 1 hr break. This week in lab we were running a digest and a gel to check our products; we're running the same assay with two different reporters (because just if it works with one, doesn't mean it's true for everything - correlation doesn't mean causation). Anyways, lab is scheduled for 5 hours normally - which is already INSANELY long, but this week it went 6 hours - I had to leave after the 5 hours to go to another 3 hour lecture. After those 6 hours only one of our digest worked >.< Our professor said we would be fine to just continue with the one that worked (HIS3 worked - our LacZ failed - both of those are reporter genes we use to see if our mutation in the promotor worked) but our professor said that we could continue our report with just our HIS3. However my lab mate wanted to redo our LacZ; which meant going into lab for 6 hours on Saturday (something I really really really didn't want to do) and then I also last minute picked up a shift at Maggie's to cover for someone who was away this weekend.

My dance choreographer had also cancelled rehearsal on Friday a few weeks ago, but then on Wednesday she said her plans were cancelled and that she was re-calling rehearsal. I was a bit annoyed at that, especially since I had made plans to go with friends for ramen and then some halloween festivities. 

Lately it's just felt like my time isn't mine anymore. I have a lot of my plate, but I've been trying to pay for my plane ticket to Australia and then also my Visa. It's so bloody expensive and I've been working overtime.

We've been having Australia meetings every Thursday and I'm getting SO SO SO excited!!! The pictures of everywhere we're going are so cool! I can not wait to go, it'll be such an amazing time, it'll be busy and a lot of work but it's going to be such a good break to be off campus and in a new country. I will be posting next semester whilst abroad as well - I don't know how regularly I'll be able to post, but I'll try to get a blog out each week.

This is Bondi Beach in Sydney Aus, It'll be only a few miles away from where I'm staying in the first part of my study abroad
The only thing I'm not ready for are the huntsman spiders. **I am such an arachnophobe and I'm going to the place with the largest and most poisonous spiders on the planet live.

***ARACHNOPHOBES LOOK AWAY

This is a huntsman, apparently they're EVERYWHERE and I am SO SCARED

Anyways, with that I'll keep you guys posted. School can be really stressful, theres a lot happening and always something to do - either homework, work, laundry, grocery shopping - anything... adulting is exhausting, but you need to find a balance and if I bust my buttocks this semester so I can have some extra traveling money while in Australia then it'll all be worth it. 

Cheers, 
Kate


If you have any questions you can reach me at ksaylor@lclark.edu