Staying on Track in College

Hey guys, happy Tuesday!

As usual, I've been pretty busy. I'm right in the beginning of basketball, so it has been hectic balancing school with games and practices. It's definitely time consuming playing a sport collegiately, but I would still encourage people to do it if they have the opportunity to! However, with that being said, there are still hard sides to it. Time management is crucial - it took me a while to adjust to my busy schedule. Everyone in college though, not just athletes, go through the same thing. Students juggle club activities, school work, and even jobs. For those reasons, I thought I would share my top three ways I keep sane.

1. Keep a planner!

I can't stress this enough - having something to physically see deadlines is so helpful. Trying to memorize every date an assignment is due or when you have that club meeting is stressful. I write down major assignments and even plan out my day, hour-by-hour, so that I never have to worry about completing things last minute.

2. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

I tried to do everything on my own and learned quickly that doing that just stressed me out more. If your lost, ask questions during class. If you need more help, see your teachers during office hours. For me personally, doing homework in the SQRC (tutoring center for multiple subjects) here at LC helped me stay on track during classes.

3. Make sure you get your "me" time.

In college, I think it's hard to get your alone time when your schedule is so busy. Make sure you get some time to yourself, whether that be by going on a walk or reading in a quiet space. I like to ride the Pio bus here down to Portland and grab some coffee to recharge after a busy week.

These are the major ways I stay on track here at LC. Obviously, everyone has their different ways of keeping sane and that's totally fine! If you have any questions or comments though, feel free to shoot me an email at jillianjin@lclark.edu. 

Until then,

Jillian