Off To the Races

Hello everyone,

Figured I'd give a quick check-in before the start of the week.

Classes are off to a great start, despite being swamped in work I am looking forward to the semester. All of my classes are super interesting and my brain is totally stretched already. For my Anthro of the Body class I put in my project proposal for the research i'll be working on. I decided to do my project on transgender bodies in the prison industrial complex. It will be a heavy topic to unpack, but I feel very excited about writing this piece. That class is a lot of fun, our professor has do different stretches and movements before the start of class to get some good blood flowing.

I am also pretty excited for the Ghanian drum and dance course I'm taking. On Feb 17 we will be doing a special performance to commemorate the passing of Obo Addy, our instructors father. Obo brought the Ghanian drum and dance to LC over twenty years ago and he taught until his death five years ago. So that feels really special that we get to learn Alex's traditional drum and dance, and then perform to honor his dad.

This time of year is scholarship season so I've been chopping away at lots of essays and applications. On Wednesday I'm going to be hosting a scholarship workshop where I talk about techniques to make your application stand out, how they score applications and different resources to get that moneyyyyy. School is more expensive than it has ever been in the history of man, which I think is total bs for so many reasons. I believe that education is a fundamental human right, and there is no reason that we should go hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt just to get a degree. So I decided to pass along the knowledge I gained from the year I worked at a scholarship foundation.

I applied for the Ray Warren Symposium co-chair position. The RWS is an event that takes place every year on campus and covers topics on race and ethnicity. Since I'm an ethnic studies minor it made sense to apply because part of the co-chair position means earning 4 ETHS credits. I have an interview for that this week and I think it'll go well.

I  also applied for a resident assistant (RA) for on-campus housing. This is a great option for people who don't want to dump a ton of money for housing and food... I'm totally into saving every damn penny I can because college is killing me. If I got this job I wouldn't have to stress about commuting to school and I could positively contribute to the LC student body. I think it'd be a lot of fun and I have professional experience working in property management. I used to manage a 24-unit multifamily townhouse apartment complex, so I have a lot of experience overseeing lots of people's living situation.

So overall things have been extremely busy, but its all good stuff so I can't really complain.

P.S. The Godmother of Soul -- ERYKAH BADU is coming to play in Portland in April.. I pretty much don't care about anything else but this. I couldn't see her last year when I bought tickets to see her in Vegas so I was totally heartbroken, but now she's coming to Portland, which happens maybe once every decade. Dreams do come true, and for this dude it is a good day.

The definition of FIERCE. ughhh I love her..

Alright y'all I gotta hit the books!

Cheers,
Lukas

lukasmsoto@lclark.edu