The Housing Selection Process





I have really enjoyed living on campus and choosing what room I'll be in every year is always an adventure. For me picking out my housing and then getting to move in has been a really fun and exciting part of college. Below I'll outline the housing process and my experiences with it.

Housing as an incoming first-year student 
Alder Hall

If you're a student who is already committed to L&C you might have already started down the housing journey by submitting your deposit and paperwork. As you may know, all first-years and sophomores are required to live on campus (with a few exceptions). It's nice to be going through the same process as everyone else around you. You get to fill out a form with your preference for building, and what type of room you want to live in, the most common types are doubles and quads. You also get to send in a questionnaire about what kind of roommate you want and what kind of roommate you are.

I spent forever looking through the LC campus living website looking at different dorms deciding which buildings to put as my preferences, and it's crazy tot think back on a time when I wasn't familiar with all the dorms in person. When I first got all this paperwork to fill out I was so excited and a little bit nervous about who I would be living with and where I would wind up. I signed up saying I was ok with doubles or quads, and I'm so glad I signed up for a quad because that's where I got placed and I really loved it. I was really anxious at first when I was put into a quad but actually living in one turned out great, I loved having a bedroom and a main room, and my roommates were all fantastic.


Housing as a rising sophomore through senior

After your first year experience housing sign up is a little different. Things are set up so that you pretty much find a roommate for yourself and then you go through the housing sign up together for the most part. The basic contract and deposit are the same, but then you get to choose your specific room. First, you and your roommate/s turn in your paperwork and draw your numbers, then those determine when you get to pick a room. Then a week later you're assigned a time to go into stamm to pick out from large maps of the buildings where you want to live. It's nice to be able to pick your specific room because you can try to be close to a kitchen or to get the view you want. This year is a bit different because housing was supposed to be assigned after all the craziness of coronavirus hit us, but usually that's how the process goes.
Alder Hall

There are more housing options open the older you get, for juniors and seniors the apartments are an option, and there is a slightly different process for that signup. And there are some halls that are open to sophomores and up, like Holmes which is the newest dorm and very nice.  Next year for my junior year I'm trying to get a single in Juniper or Holmes. And I'm already enjoying daydreaming about what my room will look like and how I will decorate it. Juniper is almost all singles and has nice kitchens, and holmes also has big singles so I'm really hoping to get into one of those. Things may be a little crazy next year, but I'm still glad I'll be on campus, because I really love living there.

If you have any questions or want to talk about life at LC please email me quentin@lcalrk.edu